Goop is one of my all time favorite things to do with kids of any age. I ALWAYS keep ingredients on hand. When my daughter was young I would make it and she would play. Now she’s older, and making it herself is almost more fun then playing with it! Goop is non-toxic, washable and easy to clean up. We have a gluten-free house (daughter and husband have Celiac Disease) so goop takes the place of play dough, which also makes rainy days tolerable for everyone!
The finished product is….interesting. You just have to make it to see for yourself.
What You Need:
- 2 cups Elmer’s Glue
- Food coloring
- 4 Tbsp. Borax (a type of hand soap)
- Warm water
- Two bowls
Making the Goop:
1. Bowl one: Mix together 1-1/2 cups of WARM water and Elmer’s Glue. Add in food coloring as desired.
2. Bowl two: Add 1-1/3 cups of WARM water to the borax. Mix (or let the kiddo mix) it around for a bit so the Borax has a chance to dissolve.
3. Pour bowl two, a little at a time (break it into 4-5 pours), into bowl one. This is REALLY the fun part for the kiddos. You can SEE the chemistry taking place.
4. Stir for a while with hands in the bowl. There will be a LOT of extra liquid.
5. Take the mixture out of the bowl and knead it like bread. It will eventually all come together and NO liquid will be dripping around. If it just does NOT, put it in Tupperware or a Ziploc bag and leave it over night.
We love to use all of her cooking toys and safety scissors!
What is your favorite Goop play toy? Favorite color?